Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pomegranates: A New Adventure?


I am truly pleased to get to work with 10 great, inspiring and committed ladies during this BetterU challenge. Nutrition is a key component to maintaining your cardiovascular heath and I am excited to share my knowledge and passion of food with each and every one of you.

What's been on my plate lately? POMEGRANATES!!! When I feel in a “picky” mood or want a busy food to eat in front of the TV I grab a pomegranate.

One entire pomegranate has hundreds of seeds, yet only about 150 calories; plus they are power packed with nutrients and antioxidants. Bargain city! Providing 16% of an adult's daily vitamin C requirement per serving, pomegranates are also a good source of the B vitamin pantothenic acid, potassium and polyphenols.

How to Instructions: Treasure hunt in your pomegranate by splitting the skin with an orange peeler or knife, then use an underwater method to split open your pomegranate and remove all of the beautiful ruby colored seeds. The membrane between the honeycombs of the seeds will float, making this process much easier. Beware that the juice from these berries can stain, thus the underwater treatment can save your laundry from problems too.

The season for Pomegranates generally ends in December, so enjoy a pomegranate on these great fall days!

For some of the best recipes and eating instructions check out this website:
http://www.pomegranates.org/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I picked some up yesterday and had them with cottage cheese for breakfast this morning. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna try this! I haven't had one since I was probably a kid.

    ReplyDelete