Saturday, December 26, 2009

Sabotaged!

Let me tell you ladies about the word sabotage. I'll begin with last Friday, the last day before school let out for winter break. (We call it that instead of Christmas which I think is rather sad) anyway, my sweet students gave me special gifts including five and a half pounds of chocolates. I should have gone straight to the teacher's lounge and left them there but I thought my family might eat them. Big mistake!- because of the snow, they haven't been able to get here. I was really only planning to have one - you probably know what happened. Luckily I only like the caramel ones. Then on Tuesday, when I am trying to finish up last minute shopping, still thinking that my family would be coming, I didn't take time to eat all day. I decided to treat myself with my favorite hamburger from Red Robin. I ordered a side salad to go with it and got it to go. Dear Red Robin gave me fries by mistake. They were very nice about getting me a salad but gave me the fries. When I got home and looked in the box I couldn't believe how many fries were in it. I weighed them. There was almost a pound!
Having grown up being taught that you eat every thing on your plate, not eating the fries was impossible. Here's the good part though - I couldn't eat all the hamburger and only ate about four fries. I got full. I think I am finally eating smaller portions which is bound to start showing before too much longer in pounds off. I'm hoping for that anyway. And now I am so snowed in it may be a week before I can get out. Not much exercise going on at mhy house. :(
Anne Marie wrote about what I've been thinking - we tend to put ourselves last and think that we are being selfish when we do good things for just us. We need to realize that it is okay to feel good and all of us should be very proud of what we have accomplished so far. Even if it is just the smallest change like not being able to eat the whole hamburger or being able to sing a whole song. Don't focus on what you haven't done but rather on what you have!
Happy New Year and Happy New You to all of you!

2 comments:

  1. Judy, you are such a sweet lady! Good for you allowing your self treats, but knowing when it was enough. Great job on eyeing the portions!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think you can't totally deprive yourself or you'll go crazy on sweets when you are alone....one will tye you over. Savor the taste and move on....throw out the rest of the box...JUST DO IT!

    ReplyDelete