Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mid Challenge Results!!

Results... So last night I had my mid challenge assessment (I requested it to see just where I'm at). And I am so very thrilled at my results!
I won't go into too much detail, but an area I'm glad to see reducing is my waist line- by 4 inches!!!
Woo-Hoo!!! I'm so glad to see the commitment to improving my health is starting to show.

That place called "Gym"... For me I thought actually making it to the gym on a consistent basis was going to be the major hurdle in this challenge. But really, aside from fighting the moody-blues due to the weather (dark and cold are my adversary!) it isn't too hard for me to make it into the gym. I've been hearing it from friends and family for quite some time ---"Don't spread yourself so thin", "Be sure to make time for yourself", "Find something you want to do just for you". Well I've certainly done all of those things. The time I make for my family and friends also seems to hold more quality and meaning for me. You won't hear me deny that the time is a sacrifice. However the value its starting to bring to my life is nothing short of wonderful.

The mental fight... Around Nov - Jan I think about my biological mother often. She passed away in 2005 at the age of 47. Although a very stressed relationship and often times unhealthy for me... she was my mother and I find myself getting down and missing her more this time of year. Among other things, poor nutrition and a predominately sedentary lifestyle led her to an early grave. I know if she would have been able to take better care of herself in just the activity and nutrition aspect alone, its a very good chance that she would still be here. So as I make my journey through this challenge, I focus on the Ultimate Goal - To Live a Longer-Healthier Life for my daughter who is 13. This thought process has been a good spin for me, as I've felt guilty for taking more time away from her. But in reality, if I don't take the time for myself, she will also lose out.

Fun Stuff... Here's a holiday recipe I found that will be my substitue for a more unhealthy version (which is my favorite!)...

Peanut Butter Clusters

Ingredients:
10 ounces Peanut Butter Chips
1/2 cup dry-roasted, unsalted peanuts
1/2 cup regular oats, uncooked
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions: Microwave chips in a bowl on high power until melted, about 1-1/2 minutes. Stir. Add remaining ingredients; mix thoroughly. Using your hands, firmly roll into 1-inch balls. Cool.
Yield: 3 dozen balls

Nutrition information per ball:
Calories: 64
Protein: 2g
Fat: 3g
Carbohydrates: 7g
Fiber: 0
Sodium: 19mg

5 comments:

  1. Carolee,
    I understand how difficult this time of year can be.
    My husband was killed in a car accident around this time of year. I think that kind of loss is always with us and the anguish it causes is often more intense around the anniversary of the loss.
    I'm hoping that doing something positive will help give us new memories for this time of year.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolee!! Your results are FANTASTIC! And this is only after 6 weeks?? Awesome! I second Judy's comments about using this experience to create positive memories around difficult times. You have so much to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolee,

    I can imagine how you must feel missing your Mother. This time of year is bitter sweet for me. My Dad died of a heart attack on December 28, 2008. He was 58 years old. I said to myself I would probably blog about him at some point during this challenge but just thinking about it gets me emotional.

    Thanks for the recipe. It looks pretty tasty. Maybe I'll get in the spirit and make those for tomorrow instead of bringing the fruit basket...

    Great job on the assessment!

    SMONI

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, you all may not know this...but there is quite a thread amonst all of us about sadness, depression and overeating to self-medicate. I think that people who are generally "people pleasers" tend to be hard on themselves and thus drown in food at times to "feel" better. I am in awe of all of your commitments...you have been an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see the pattern as well. I've known for quite some time that I can tend to feed my emotions. Now I'm looking for the better options on how to comfort my inner child. Take Care, Anna!

    ReplyDelete